Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Dont's
Our team at SERVPRO of Bonita Springs is available 24/7, even on holidays, to help you after unexpected fire damage. The winter holiday season brings together family while loads of decorations are displayed and food is cooked. This can increase risk for unexpected fires! If this unfortunate event does occur, our team will be on your property in no time to get the job done right.
While you wait, read below a few tips on what to do to get the cleanup process started. Please make sure the affected are has been given the "all clear" before reentrance.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (239) 791-8892
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.